Saturday 13th April marked one of the biggest events in the Brisbane Tramway museum’s history – an estimated crowd of 800 people helped commemorate the 50th Anniversary of The Last Tram Trip in Brisbane.
The last tram to run in Brisbane completed its trip at midnight on 13th April 1969. Tram 554 had the honour of making that historic trip. Earlier in the day the Last Drop Centre Tram 341 was ceremoniously piped on its last trip into Ipswich Road Depot.
In the museum’s re-enactment of that trip on 13th April, Sarah Pointing, the great grand-daughter of that piper, also piped 341 into the depot to symbolise the last tram trip.
After a few moments of silence, a historic BCC Panther Bus of the 1969 era, emerged from the depot to symbolise the taking-over of buses from trams. Later, at 8.30 pm, tram 554 again made the last trip into the depot.
Kid’s rides and face-painting again proved popular and various displays by SES, miniature engines, Old Petrie Town, Qld Coach& Omnibus Society and vintage motorcycles all received loads of attention.
Another feature of the day was the re-introduction of tram 400 – the first of the FM class (built in 1937) – back into service after undergoing some years of restoration. Unfortunately, it was not able to carry passengers on this day.
The museum sincerely thanks the Brisbane City Council for their support of this historic event. Apart from funding support, the Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner officially opened proceedings and Councillor for the Gap Ward, Steve Toomey, had the honour of driving 341 into the depot.