Even though they are separated by Samford and Bunya Conservation Parks, the Samford, Bunya and The Hills Districts have over the decades had various links to one another. This can be found in the October 1980 200th edition of the ADVISER and Samford Reminiscences Vol2.
As early as 1879, our districts were within the Caboolture Divisional Board boundary. In 1888, Pine Divisional Board was formed, breaking away from Caboolture Division Board. The name changed to Pine Shire Council. Division 1 of Pine, which was later named Pine Rivers Shire Council and took in The Hills Districts as well as Bunya and Samford. In 1952, Division 1 had 869 voters.
Some early Hills District families are known to have attended Bunya School. When in 1965 Bunya School closed, the school building was purchased and dismantled by Arana Hills Progress Association. Eventually, most of the usable timber from the school was incorporated into the fence of Arana Hills Community Centre in Camden Park. The teacher’s house was purchased by a private family and moved to their property towards Grovely. The house is now in urban Ferny Hills.
A branch of the well known Hills District Patrick family came to Samford working with bullock teams and on ‘The Highlands farm’ before moving to Mt Glorious. In the mid- 1930’s, Mr Patrick built a house there, and Mrs Patrick started tea rooms. When The Hills Districts were sub-dived into residential housing blocks, members of several Bunya and Samford families built their homes there.
The milk truck collected milk cans from Cedar Creek and Bunya Road and farmers travelled Dawson Parade on its journey to milk factory at South Brisbane.
When the train came in 1918 from Mitchelton to Samford, the Hills and surrounding areas, residents travelled to Samford, and later to Dayboro, without having to traverse the winding narrow Samford Range road.
Today, Samford Museum’s membership includes volunteers from the Hills Districts strengthening the districts’ links.
Following the 1984 formation of Samford District Historical Museum Society and opening of Samford Museum in 1986 Editor of the Adviser, Mrs Melva Welch, invited the Society to contribute a newsletter. Today members are grateful to continue our friendship with the Echo newspapers..