EDITORIAL STYLE GUIDE
The Hills Echo produces trusted content for local residents of north west Brisbane through its newspaper and website (www.hillsecho.com). Our content is local, intelligent, inspiring and important. We grant local community groups, clubs and businesses the opportunity to showcase their monthly news, views and stories.
Our content reflects the views of the local community in an unbiased and non-political manner with a desire to reinforce the area’s sense of community. Topics of interest concentrate on the people, the places, events and local businesses which shape the community The Hills Echo serves.
To qualify for publication, either in print or online, submissions must have specific relevance to the local area. These suburbs include; Arana Hills, Ferny Hills, Everton Hills, Keperra, Grovely, Ferny Grove, Upper Kedron, Oxford Park and Samford Village.
The Hills Echo is not a large regional newspaper, or national in nature, so regional or national issues will not be canvassed, except in the event that the issue effects any of the suburbs covered by The Hills Echo.
- File Type: Editorial submissions should be sent in Word or Word-compatible file format. Please do not use a PDF file due to formatting problems.
- Word Count: Preferred article length for print in our newspaper is between 200 and 500 words. If your article is intended for publication online at www.hillsecho.com, the article should be no longer than 750 words.
- Please note that all article submission are subject to edit.
- Proofreading: We receive a large number of submissions, so contributors who provide clean copy will not only save us time but will receive priority for publication.
- References and Links: Always provide links and references (preferably to primary sources or credible institutes) to back up any claims, as well as quotes. We also appreciate it if you could link any names not easily recognised by our readers.
- Accreditation: Please make sure you let us know if your piece has been previously published elsewhere. We preference previously unpublished work but if we choose to republish your submission, the original source must be credited.
- Imagery: If supplying an image with your submission. Please ensure it conforms to the following specifications. Online: Resolution, 72dpi, Print: Resolution, 300dpi. Please ensure the image is credited to the photographer or source.
Editorial submission checklist:
- Is your topic suited to The Hills Echo?
- Is your submission in word, or word-compatible format?
- Is the word count correct?
- Has your article been proofread?
- Remember to include hyperlinks to all claims and names.
- Have you attributed sources for any images?
- Has your submission been published elsewhere?
EDITORIAL POLICY & STANDARDS
Additional and more detailed standards can be found below.
The Hills Echo maintains an ongoing commitment to factual accuracy, balance and ethical reporting. Feedback is welcomed by the public. If you see anything in our newspaper or on our website that you think maybe incorrect, please contact the Publisher at email@example.com
We will seek to remedy the breach as quickly as possible, in the next printed edition or immediate if it is an online complaint, with a correction or apology.
ATTRIBUTION & SOURCES
The content in our newspaper and on our website comes from our community of writers, regular columnists and local contributors. Articles are attributed to the author as such. If there is content on our site that comes from another outside source, we will always attribute that information to whatever publisher or source it comes from.
INTEGRITY & TRANSPARENCY
The Hills Echo’s content reflects the views of the local community in an unbiased and non-political manner. We do not endorse any particular political party, candidate or agenda. Nor does the Hills Echo support any illegal, cruel, hateful, adult or exploitative activities.
The Hills Echo publishes mainly independent editorial content. If however, editorial submissions are other than our own, they are attributed as such to the author.
The Hills Echo’s editorial content is independent. Our journalism is never influenced by advertisers. Commercial content is funded by advertisers and is clearly labelled as such.
COPYRIGHT & REPRODUCTION
No part of the newspaper or website content may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher
For permission requests, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this publication, the publisher (MAC Group Publications Pty Ltd) assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions or any consequences of reliance on this publication.
The Hills Echo has a zero-tolerance policy towards journalistic corruption. Occasionally, we receive complimentary tickets to events or amusements, however we always ensure our reporting is independent.
If you think corruption may have occurred, please contact the Publisher at email@example.com.
Should you have a complaint, please visit our Complaints Handling Policy here.