Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 30 mins
• 4 small sweet potatoes, washed
• 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
+ extra for drizzling
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
• 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup cheddar cheese, reduced fat, grated
• 1 avocado, deseeded
• Juice of half a lime
• Freshly ground pepper
• Sour cream (reduced fat)
• Coriander leaves,roughly chopped
1. PREHEAT oven to 200°C.
2. PRICK the surface of the sweet potatoes with a fork
then drizzle each with olive oil and wrap individually
in foil. Place on a baking tray.
3. ROAST for 30 minutes or until soft and a knife passes through with no resistance.
4. SLICE each potato in half lengthways and mash the insides to soften with a fork.
5. HEAT frying pan on medium heat then add oil once hot. Fry the onion, garlic and spices until soft for about 5 minutes.
6. ADD the black beans and heat through and TOP each potato with bean mixture and a sprinkle of cheese.
7 . MAKE guacamole by mashing the avocado in a small bowl and mixing through the lime juice and some ground pepper. SERVE the sweet potatoes with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream and sprinkle
Alternative: Prick the surface of the sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap each one in a damp paper towel. Microwave each potato individually on high for 6 minutes, or until soft and a knife passes through with no resistance.
This recipe is brought to you by The Queensland Country Women’s Association’s (QCWA) Country Kitchens program. The program Empowering women through education and health is a priority for the Queensland Country Women’s Association (QCWA). The QCWA Country Kitchens program, funded by the Queensland Government through Health and Wellbeing Queensland, supports Queenslanders to adopt healthier lifestyles. To find out more about the program visit https://qcwacountrykitchens.com.au/