Jim Kelly of Everton Park and Alan Morris of Arana Hills have each given exceptional service to Samford Museum for more than a decade using their professional trades. It is the work carried out by these members and the team who work with them, that makes the displays special. The gents were thanked and congratulated on their life memberships.
For residents of the greater Samford area, travelling via Everton Park and the Hills Districts has changed dramatically since the earliest days of settlement.
‘A memorial signed by most settlers on the road through the Ironbark Ranges, Upper South Pine River, Cedar Creek and at Samford was presented to the Minister for Works. This memorial prayed that new bridges be erected over the Upper South Pine River and Kedron Brook and that the road be otherwise made serviceable. Very large quantities of agricultural and other produce are annually being conveyed to town by this road.’ From ‘Brisbane Courier’, Saturday 22 August 1874
Bullock teams carrying logs to Poultney’s sawmill at Everton Park and horse-drawn vehicles taking produce to Brisbane from the Samford/Bunya region travelled the Bunya and South Pine Roads when it was just a rough track through the Ironbark Ranges, now Bunya Conservation Reserve. The bullock teams and horse-drawn vehicles were eventually replaced by milk trucks transporting supplies to Brisbane.
Prior to Arana Hills becoming the suburb and shopping district it is today, families in the vicinity worked and socialised together with Samford and Bunya locals.
If readers would like to know more about Samford Museum, visit https://www.samfordmuseum.com.au or feel free to drop by the museum on Wednesdays or Sundays from 10am-4pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries.