Another tram undergoing restoration is 400—the first of this model. Built in 1938, 400 was the first tram to have 4 motors (instead of only 2 as on all previous models), and the model is known as the FM class. Overall, a total of 155 of this class saw service in Brisbane right through until the last trip in 1969. They featured a rounded end to facilitate passing on tight curves, and had a separate cabin for the Motorman. Carrying 110 passengers, they were the workhorse of the fleet, together with the Drop Centres, for over 30 years. In their day, they were highly regarded worldwide as innovative and leaders in the field. It is expected that 400 will re-enter service some time next year.
The museum is pleased to announce that the Deputy Mayor of Brisbane, Cr Adrian Schrinner, has kindly accepted the office of Patron of the museum. We look forward to his association with us for many years to come.
The museum is open to the public every Sunday afternoon (weather permitting) from 12.30 pm, and is available for charters by community groups, schools etc. Weddings and birthdays can be celebrated on our spacious grounds.
For more information, please phone: 3351 1776.
Meanwhile, we wish all The Hills Echo readers the Compliments of the Season and hope you all have a safe and happy Christmas and New Year.