‘A healthy mind in a healthy body’ is the theme that the team from Infinity Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Everton Park are taking into their fundraising event to support Beyond Blue in the battle to improve mental health in Australia.
People who experience mental health conditions can feel like there are constant pressures attacking them from every side, in what seems like a never-ending battle, where the world is against them. It has gotten so damaging in today’s society that within Australia:
• 45% of people will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime
• 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men will experience anxiety
• 1 in 6 women and 1 in 8 men will experience depression
• Men are 3 times more likely to end their own life than women
• There are more than 8 suicides per day in Australia
• For every person who dies by suicide, another 30 people attempt to take their own lives, equaling 240 attempted suicides per day
Figures taken from https://www.beyondblue.org.au/media/statistics
In a sport like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) where one can be attacked in many ways and in battles that can be extensive, correlations can be drawn to life with mental health conditions. As such, practitioners at Infinity BJJ are raising awareness of this silent disease and supporting Beyond Blue by raising money to assist those in need.
On the day, two of Infinity’s members (the ‘Endurance Pair’) will both undertake 6 hours of BJJ rolls/sparring where they will take on any and all challengers to raise money for the cause. During this time, there will also be an open mat where everyone is welcome to come and learn from experienced practitioners or challenge each other to rolling/sparring contests. There will be prizes and raffles drawn on the day with all proceeds from the event going directly to Beyond Blue.
Be sure to drop in at Infinity Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at 1/7 O’Loan Street Petrie (near the Petrie round about) on Saturday October 9, 2021 to show your support.
Additional information, including how you can donate to this worthy cause, can be found at: https://fundraise.beyondblue.org.au/roll-beyond-blue-days