The family behind Patricks Road

Patricks Road, highlighted in blue on map

Frederick Patrick (16yrs) arrived from London via the Golden City ship on the 5th February 1866 . He worked as a Blacksmith in Roma Street, Brisbane before traveling to Western Queensland to do some shepherding for a few years.

He then returned to Brisbane and his first land purchase of 185 acres were portions 52 and 61 in the Parish of Bunya on 29th May, 1878. He had been married for almost five years to Elizabeth and the land purchase was just four months before their fourth and fifth children, twins Sarah and Sophy, were born. In 1883, Fred also purchased 195 acres of portion 71 in Parish of Bunya from John Carter.

The family continued to grow. Unfortunaltey Elizabeth died during child birth of her 14th child, Pearly Elizabeth. The other surviving family members were Robert, Crosby, Charles, Sarah, Herbert, Edward, Lucy, Ann, Violet, Francis, Albert Edward and the second set of twins Percy and Leslie who were only four when their mother died.

The eldest daughter Sarah (20yrs), then took care of the family. The Patrick family home was named Mt Pleasant Homestead and was situated on the rise of what is now Yanderra Avenue, Arana Hills. Cattle grazed all over the land to the Park Road property boundary. Unfortunatley, Fred Patrick died in February 1927.

Sarah Patrick wed Frank Barber. When Frank died in 1944, Sarah moved to Gympie leaving the Patrick family home where she had resided for 66 years.

Interesting fact: Most of the roads in The Hills District either go to, go past, go through or ’are near’ the home-site of a pioneer of the name shown

Information gathered in these article are sourced from “A list of place names” by Melva A. Welch

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our newsletter and get news in your inbox every week!

Newsletter SignupDon't miss any of our latest local news again.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest news or an exclusive offer.