Ladies have been an integral part of the foundation, history and current experiences of the Keperra Country Golf Club.
The original idea of establishing a golf club at Keperra was first conceived by Captain Robert Cottam and Mrs Elsie Waters while playing tennis at Mitchelton. They would saunter into the paddock adjacent to the tennis court to swing a club between tennis sets.
By 1931 a golf course was being carved out of virgin scrub next to the railway line. It was officially opened on 7 June 1932 and it now features three sets of nine holes, which comprise three 18 hole competition courses.
From the beginning the ladies worked alongside the men mowing, planting, watering or labouring on the course proper or painting, sewing and catering inside the clubhouse. The contribution of the ladies helped to establish the game of golf at Enoggera Golf Club and ensured its survival when the club was re-named Keperra Country Golf Club.
To preserve this history, local Keperra golfers Lyn Fryer and Ella King have written and published a book titled ‘Keperra Ladies: The story of Ladies’ Golf at Keperra Country Golf Club.’ Their colleague Eileen Jones volunteered to act as Editor and facilitated a very professional writing style to compliment the many photographs, both old and new, that are a feature of the book. The book has been very well received and is presently being sold among the club’s membership. The book is priced at $30 per copy and orders can be placed by emailing Lyn at firstname.lastname@example.org
(Editor’s Note: Lyn and Roger Fryer were previous owners and publishers of The Hills Echo.)